About Me

My photo
D. H. Starr is a clean-cut guy with a wickedly naughty mind. He grew up in Boston and loves the city for its history and beauty. Also, having lived in NYC, he enjoys the fast pace and the availability of anything and everything. He first became interested in reading from his mother who always had a stack of books piled next to her bed. Family is important to D. H. and his stories center around the intricate and complex dynamics of relationships and working through problems while maintaining respect and love. His favorite books tend to fall in the genres of science fiction, fantasy, paranormal, and coming of age. To learn more about D. H. Starr and his books, please visit his website at www.dhstarr.com if you are 18+. To view his young adult work and resources, visit www.dhstarrYAbooks.com.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

What's the 4-1-1 on Free Reads

As I slowly work my way through various technological resources to connect with other readers and writers, I find myself learning that there are certain norms and expectations for each type of communication. Facebook, Myspace, Yahoo Groups, Crit groups, websites, blogs. I'll be the first one to admit that I haven't the foggiest on how to manage or keep on top of those resources to keep connected. At least I use Facebook daily so I feel like I've established a bit of a presence there.

All of this has nothing to do with the title of this post. What's the 4-1-1 on Free reads. As I search websites of authors, I've noticed that most have a tab for free reads and I'm curious. Why do author's post free reads and what do readers think of them? Do you want to see free reads of books we have already published (I guess the proper terms for that would be "excerpt").

As readers, what's the draw of a free read? Does it make you more likely to decide that you like an author's style? Does it whet an appetite that blurbs and excerpts do not?

In this world of cyber-promotion and communication, I truly want to know how to best meet the needs of my readers.

You can check out my newest free read at my website http://www.dhstarr.com/. Let me know if this is something that appeals to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment